Raiders Host Volleyball Match Against Su-Valley

Tuesday, November 05 2013

UCSD Volleyball Team

Over the weekend, the Unalaska Raiders Volleyball team hosted the Su-Valley Rams. 

With the stands packed, the Raiders played very competitive volleyball. Although the Rams beat Unalaska’s JV and Varsity teams both nights, the Raiders were able to take a game from Su-Valley on Saturday night. “We knew going into it that it was going to be a tough match; I am proud of the way they played. I asked them to play scrappy, disciplined volleyball and they did that,” said Coach Julie Heard.

A couple of outstanding Raiders players included Cynthia Drayton who had multiple blocks and kills on the net, and Taytum Robinson who is one of the hardest working setters and always willing to step up and lead the team. The rest of the teammates who suited up for the Varsity games were Louisa Seman, Kanesia Price, Charity Haskins, Kiecel Tungul, Keyelene Esnardo, Marina Olson, Reanna Marquez, Emerson Winters, Margie Giminez, and Kaye Gumera. The Raiders who suited up for the Junior Varsity games were Reanna Marquez, Marigie Giminez, Jhiddel Sugabo, Chantel Nixon, Alysia Roxas, Emi Silipa, Lynette Pham, Trisha Mose, Kaye Gumera, Emerson Winters, Christian Escalante, and Maia Rookala.

The Unalaska Raiders enjoyed hosting Su-Valley and believe they have learned a lot about their volleyball program and where they are able to go from here as a team. Many fans enjoyed the music and remarked about wanting to see more home volleyball games. High school senior and Varsity player Cynthia Drayton said, “On Saturday night we knew that we had to make our community proud, so we brought our ‘A Game’ and played our hearts out. We might not have won the match, but we walked off the court with our heads held high.” Varsity player Taytum Robinson added, “It was great to have our community come support us. With a new coach and program, things have been awesome. I’m thrilled to see our team come together and work hard. I can’t wait to see how the end of the season turns out. Hopefully we are headed for State!”

The volleyball team and Coach Heard would like to thank everyone in the community who attended for supporting and cheering them on. They also send out a big thanks to the game officials Robi Harris and Chris Bobbitt, and all other volunteers and school staff that made the weekend possible.

The Unalaska Raiders’ next volleyball event is the Crab Pot Tournament on November 15th and 16th as well as Junior High and C team scrimmages on November 8th. The Junior Varsity team is traveling to King Cove for several matches on November 7th-9th. Go Raiders!

News Community About Site by Joseph Redmon